After Stumbling upon a lot of posts about Apples Operating System ( A lot of people still dont know it exists ). Mac OS X (10.5) Or Leopard as they call it, I wondered why people were so desperate to get it installed on their PC’s. Okay I got that it costs more but till now all I heard about it was “Its crappy and it does not run any windows software”. I would like to dispel both these myths.
Firstly I would like to tell you that Apple’s Operating system is not supported on any other platform except their own. Their Mac Book Pro’s or Airs come preloaded with this software.There is no “retail” version for the PC that you can go buy at a store.
The differences between the hardware used in PCs and Macs require various patches to be installed before Leopard can run.Fortunately two groups of people have been successful in hacking the kernel and making it into a bootable dvd that can be installed on any PC without much knowledge of terminals etc.These packages are referred to as iATKOS and Kalyway.
There are various legal issues invloved as Apple’s agreement limits the software only to Apples computers.However you may able to download a copy of the DVD. Check iatkos.wikidot.com for the latest version. You can think of it as a “demo” version before you buy the original licensed copy.
I wont be writing about how I did it because basically all you have to do is download it, burn it to a dvd and run the installation and partition one of your drives and format it to be used with Mac’s version of FAT.There are many guides available for that. You may have a problem with the drivers (or kexts as they call it) Trial and error will give you the right ones. Barring a few exceptions you can have a fully functioning Operating system.
The difference between Mac and Windows
The Mac was the first computer really to have a “Graphical user Interface” or GUI. Microsoft copied it into Windows 95. Steve Jobs still gloats about it.A lot of fonts were also designed on the Mac before windows copied all the features.
Why I liked the Mac better?
1. Firstly it boots up WAY faster than windows XP or vista or 7. I’ve seen this practically with the dual boot on my computer.
2. The installation takes only about 20 minutes where it ranges from 45 minutes to an hour for Windows Vista or 7 depending upon your RAM and other things
3. The interface is extremely easy to use. Any idiot or anyone with hardly any knowledge could use a Mac (provided they were not used to Windows first that would just irritate them). The dock at the bottom and the huge icons help for quick access
4. Websites open up much much faster in Apples version of explorer or an internet browser called “Safari”. Hardly any crashes or scripting errors like you get in explorer
5. The names that they give to their applications and products are very appealing. What sounds better? the dull old “internet explorer” or “Safari” ? “Windows movie maker ” or iMovie? “Windows Media Player”or iTunes. Microsoft Office or iWork.
6. Switching between applications is very easy. The Expose application allows you to see all your running windows at once and Spaces allows you to use multiple desktops and switch them.
7. The iChat application. I love chatting with it. It connects to Gtalk,AIM. When I get an incoming message the blue ichat icon starts jumping at the bottom. Yes literally “jumping” and makes a really cute sound and a small dialog box pops up with the message in a baloon. The alternate left-right arrangements also look beautiful
8. Overall the OS works Really Really Fast as compared to windows.
It runs Windows Software. Yes Everything
Everything from Explorer , Office, Word to Call of Duty ,Warcraft almost everything works with Mac. You have to install a simple 3rd Party application. There are various ones available. Im listing a few.
Crossover Mac – www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac
Wine – (free open source) http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX
Virtual Machine from Parallels. – www.parallels.com
All these applications create a ” fake” or emulated windows environment where any windows program can run. You need to install windows on it though first. Then you have XP/7 running in a separate window inside Mac.
Time for change!
The reason why we cant adopt a Mac now is because of Windows. Microsofts strategy of allowing piracy (unofficially) helps them gain control of the worlds market. Like a virus outbreak. Everyone starts using windows. Now the scenario is such that apple has only 10% of the worlds market while Windows dominates. Windows has paralysed everyone to sticking to it. Life had become unimaginable without windows. Every household in India has a pirated copy of windows along with their Pc. Im sure most people are still not aware you need to purchase a “legit” copy of windows.
For all of you people who think its okay to use pirated windows and if you think Microsoft cant find out about it you are wrong. They know exactly how many people use pirated copies. They just wont take action because suing individuals isnt really affordable. They catch the big fish – Companies and Industries.
Its time for change people. Adopt a Mac!