Facebook: Its all about privacy now!
A lot of people are not aware of the new privacy settings available on facebook and do not know how to operate them. They keep asking me How do I get my Ex to not see my posts to her friends or my status updates about my new girlfriend? How can I make only my close friends recieve my relationship updates? My dads on facebook I cant delete him. Or maybe some pictures you want only a group of people to see them. Ill try and answer all these by creating scenarios
1. I need to block a certain person. How do I go about it?
1. Click on the SETTINGS tab on the top blue strip somewhere near the right side of the page.
2. From the menu select PRIVACY SETTINGS
3. Select BLOCK LIST at the bottom of the privacy settings page.
4. At the bottom you can see two text boxes with ‘Person’ and ‘Email’
5. If you know the persons name. Type say the first five letters in the person text box. It’ll give you the nearest match and block him.
NOTE: a) Blocking a person means he CANNOT see your profile,posts,wall,comments on other peoples statuses,photos, nothing with your name next to it. However he may see your name and profile pic in third party applications like Mafia Wars etc.This is a flaw and if the person decides he may be able to view your profile pic on the application but he cannot gain access to it. So the person you are blocking CAN sometimes see your profile pic.
Or as quoted by Facebook – “Note that blocking someone may not prevent all communications and interactions in applications, and does not extend to elsewhere on the Internet.”
b) You can UNBLOCK a person by clicking the “remove” link in the BLOCK LIST next to his name. You will have to send him/her a friend request again and wait for confirmation. You can do this (blocking and unblocking) as many times as you like
Scenarios when you would do this – If someone was stalking you, Someone you really really hate, Someone who you think might hack into your account and gain access etc
2. I want to add a person as a friend but I dont want him to see any of my personal info, profile information,photos, wall posts, status updates etc.
1. Go to Settings->Privacy Settings->Profile Information
2. On the left column you will see About Me,Birthday,Personal Info etc. And on the right you see the corresponding privacy settings for each of them. Now for Each of them (recommended highly by me) , click on the Drop Down Box and select the last ” Custom” option.
After clicking on that you get this
Here I recommend that you keep your profile open to “Only Friends” (Specific People of you dont have many) and tick yourself off the networks which are ticked by default. This is for two main reasons:
1. People in the network (like fergusson college 2009, University of Pune etc.) are allowed to see a lot of your stuff like photos , status updates. You dont know what kind of people exist in the network. Anyone who has a friend in the network can get in and gain access to thousands of profiles.A “stalkers delight”
2. You can set it to specific people but then if you have 400 friends and you want 390 of them to see it, it does not make sense to use that option. Instead use the “Hide this from” and enter the names of the people you think are snoopy. Maybe you dont want your mum and dad to see your changed relationship status. then set the proper settings for “Family and relationship” and include them in the “Hide this from”
3.Be extra careful with the photo album. Thats usually what people want to see. Click on the Edit Settings Button next to Photo Albums.
Here you can set the Privacy settings for each album. Say theres an album you want only your girlfriend to see. Then use the Some Friends option. You can figure out the rest of the settings there itself.
After you’ve finished and you want to check if youve done everything right go to
Privacy settings>Profile information. on the top right click on “PREVIEW PROFILE”
Enter the name of the person youve just blocked, or your mum and dad and hit enter.
You should now see what you want them to see.
3. Chat Invisibility
Say there is someone pestering you and you want to chat with some other people but not go offline at the same time. Unfortunately facebook does not allow “special visibility settings” directly in chat for each person
Just click on the Friends lists button. Create a new list.
A new part of the chat box pops up. Drag the person you want to get rid of into the box. Click the green hatch on the top that makes you go offline. The list will disappear. You are free to chat with your friends.
But if you intend to chat with the person later you will have to enable the list and go online again.Or change his list from the “Friends” page.
4. My Facebook Chat App
Ive been tinkering around with VB.NET and I found it rather annoying that facebook does not have its own messenger like yahoo which you can minimize. So I made one myslef with the facebook lite interface. Its a very basic version so dont expect it to be a hit.
Please note it needs .NET 3.5 +SP1 setup and Windows Installer 3.1
Screenshot as is working on Windows 7
Download it from Above. (Unzip all the files and run the setup.exe)