- Sony Ericsson Phone Modding and Flashing
What is phone modding and why would I do it?
Phone Modding is a process where you modify your phone software or tweak it to do various things. Some of them are listed below-
- If you think your Sony Ericsson (SE)stock default phone volume is too low.
- If you think your software is messed up and dont have the time to give the phone away and pay a lot of money
- If you want to turn your normal phone into an Ipod with Loud Mega Bass settings, change the walkman interface, skins which you usually cannot do normally
- If you want cool moving flash themes or like a dice wallpaper which rolls the dice when you shake it or changes wallpaper (some phones only)
- If you want to change the appearance of the boring default menu
- If you want to change the drivers of the camera for better performance
- If you want to change the boring old font to a sexy new font
- If you want to change the layout of the standby page
- Change the battery icon / startup shutdown screens
Step 1: Identify your phone and its screen resolution
There are two types of phones normal phones
Normal phones include k530 k550 k610 k770 k790 k800 k810 and w580 w610 w660 w710 w830 w850 w880 etc.
A2 phones: C510, C702, C901, C902, C903, C905, G905, G705, K630, K660, K850, K858, T700, TM506, V640, W595, W705, W715, W760, W890, W902, W908, W910, W980, Z750, Z770, Z780
You need to find out the CID version also. You can find this on normal phones by the secret service menu. Go to your Standby (Normal) screen.
- Use the directional/joystick keys press the RIGHT key. Dont worry about what appears just keep pressing those buttons.
- Press * key
- Press left, again left
- Press * key one last time
- You will see a menu with the first option Service info. Read everything and check the software version CID (49,51,52,53 etc) and the branding – RED etc, ASIA , AMERICA etc. If you cant find those extra options no need to worry continue.
- TIP: The menu above will help you determine if everything on your phone is working well or not.
Here the Flash CID (here 52) and RED DB 31XX(3150) are to be noted. Please skip ahead if you dont understand and come back
2.I know my phone. Now the software
Basically the best tools or the ones ill be using here will be A2Uploader for my G502 A2 phone. alternatively you can use XS++ 3.1. The interface differs a little bit but the principle is the same
1. XS++ 3.1 for non A2 phones: http://www.4shared.com/file/31320268/de535436/XS_version_31.html
2. A2 Uploader for A2 phones: http://www.4shared.com/file/78355548/7d06473a/A2_Uploader_V3.html
3.FAR Manager + JD Flasher: http://www.4shared.com/file/57668515/2faa8be8/Far_Manager__JDFlasher_T6__CID.html
Choose 1. If you only wish to flash or modify your file system. Pathching can also be done. This might not be able to READ (Backup the data on the phone out to your computer)
Choose 2. If you have an A2 Phone. (You can try 3 also)
Choose 3. If you are advanced. FAR Manager is by far the best but has a crappy interface.You need to know what you are doing.
3. The Risks
- If you flash the wrong firmware files, the phone may give an error starting up but it CAN BE FIXED
- If you screw with the GDFS part of the phone. You die.Nothing can be done
- If you do not backup the files and you want them back its your responsibility.
- Flashing causes all contacts ,data,apps on the phone to be erased. So be careful
- Wrong driver files like the wrong camera drivers might give an error while starting or the wrong acoustics might cause high volume distortition , no volume from the headset etc.
- I think you lose the warranty once you mess with the file system
4. ” I AGREE” Lets start
After downloading one of the files above, Unzip everything somewhere. Install the two files in case of A2 phones.
In case you get errors or your phone is not detected see http://cshared.com/sony-ericsson-usb-flash-driver-installation/ If that fails too http://www.x-drivers.com/catalog/flash/mobile_phones/companies/sony_ericsson/models/seus/7572.html. Download and run the SEUS (Sony Ericsson Update tool). Remember it HAS to be detected.
5. Browsing the file system
Now get your USB DATA CABLE. Lets start.
- Turn off your phone. Remove the battery and put it back in
- Plug the USB end of the USB data cable into the computer
- Now here pay attention. Hold the “C” button on normal phones OR (2 or 5 key on A2) and connect the other end of the cable to the mobile. Dont Let go of ‘C’ till the driver is installed.
- You should see a “New Hardware detected ” Message. On Vista and Seven this should be installed automatically through windows update. It takes time. Else on Windows Xp if it gives the “Found new hardware” wizard. Say No Windows Update this time, Install from specified location and point it to the downloaded and unzipped version of (http://www.akshayy.com/sonyericsson/wp-content/uploads/usbimages.zip)
- After It gives an installed successfully confirmation start up A2 Uploader or XS++. Im using A2 here. Click the File System button on the right and press enter.
Here 1.Option in the figure above is used for Flashing new firmware files. 2. For browsing and editing the filesystem installed. 3. Is used for patching or scripts (advanced) & Identify the device 4. Is used to stop when you are finished with everything. Remember to press that before you disconnect.
You should see this after you connect
In the above diagram: 1. Shows you the filesystem. 2.Is showing you that the flash memory driver is installed (Win 7)
3. Tells you the processes taking place and device info.
Congratulations you know how to browse the filesystem now.
6. Backing Up Files.
- Please remember to do this as you are eventually going to mess up something later.
- On the five folders – the /tpa , /sys, /boot, /ifs etc. Right click each one and select the READ option. It takes a lot of time but please do this. It will backup all the contents to your hard drive where the A2 uploader program resides so you can restore the files without having to flash the whole thing again.
- If you do mess up and you cant get out of it flashing with new firmware is the only option
7. Installing New Files
The procedure varies depending on the file you wish to transfer
For Flash wallpapers:
A) Download the right size. Check your cellphone screen resoultion in the specs and download those resolution wallpapers. For sample Ive downloaded the Blue Evolution theme (G502 ModPack) from http://i-sony-ericsson.blogspot.com/. A Mod Pack is one where everything Fonts – Layouts – Wallpapers – Acoustics are already customized for your phone into one ZIP file
B) To install Remember you should have two files for a flash menu. The .SWF (flash file) and the .THM file
On the right File System Browser Panel Navigate to tpa/Preset/System/Desktop/Flash manually. This is where all the flash swf files go. Not the .thm files. Open the other file you want to copy in my computer elsewhere. Then DRAG the file into the window. It will get copied or replaced. Then do the same for the corresponding .thm file. You have a new flash wallpaper!
thm > tpa/user/themes
swf > tpa/preset/system/desktop/flash
Dispose of an entire folder to the memory card as storage. Then, to set the sidebar, find the file on the phone. Swf, press Options> Set As> Wallpaper. I have SideBar
There. You know how to add new files.
A few Links are here.Check them according to your phone.
Ubuntu pack/Linkin park – http://walkmans.wordpress.com/category/240×320/
Acoustics Packs – http://www.4shared.com/dir/5108371/7acde666/Acoustics.html
Any other stuff – http://www.4shared.com/dir/2730556/43f8e259/sharing.html